Continuing from An Overview of Workers Compensation Fraud (Part 1), here is some additional essential information regarding workers’ compensation fraud in Colorado. While Part 1 of this blog described how Colorado law specifically defines workers’ compensation fraud, here in Part 2, we will focus on some of the specific types of workers’ compensation fraud that can be committed.
Types of Workers’ Compensation Fraud
Some of the specific types of workers’ compensation fraud that can be committed include:
- Claimant fraud, in which the individual who is seeking benefits intentionally lies on his workers’ compensation claim forms, fakes his injuries, files multiple claims (potentially under different identities), and/or seeks benefits for injuries that were not sustained while on the job
- Lawyer fraud, in which a workers’ compensation lawyer helps a claimant make a fraudulent claim and/or assists medical facilities in overbilling for the treatment of work injuries
- Provider fraud, in which a medical facility attempts to overbill for the treatment of work injuries and/or attempts to bill for treatments it never, in fact, provided
- Insurance adjuster fraud, in which an insurance company tampers with evidence of a legitimate claim in order to try to reduce the coverage for or flat-out deny the claim and/or when an insurance company accepts payments from medical providers in exchange for referring injured workers to these providers
- Employer fraud, in which an employer intentionally lies about an incident in order to try to get out of having to cover the claim, discourages injured workers from filing workers’ compensation claims and/or underreports an injured employee’s wages to try to reduce the amount of the legitimate claim.
Colorado Workers Compensation Lawyers
If you have sustained a workplace injury and are considering (or in the process of) filing a workers compensation claim, it’s essential that you contact the Colorado workers compensation lawyers at the Law Office of Michael P. Dominick. Our legal professionals have a proven track record of success when it comes to securing our Clients the maximum possible compensation for their injuries and financial losses. For a thorough evaluation of your case, along with expert advice on the best manner in which to move forward, call us at (303) 447-2644.